Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bacon: Pot Bellied Pig

Symptoms / Problems

Not eating for more than 5 days, not able to keep food or water down.

What was unique about this case?

202 lbs. patient so we were initially unable to get him into the clinic.  Sedated him in the back of the owner’s SUV and carried him into hospital.  Difficult to treat in hospital, not able to keep IV fluids going after surgery if needed.

Procedure Performed

After sedation brought into hospital and did exploratory surgery.  Found and removed large object which was a large kitchen towel.  This was causing a complete blockage.


Bacon recovered well and was eating and acting well.  He was going for walks again on his trails in the woods within two weeks.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Pets & Lawn Fertilizer

When you’re caring for your lawn this spring, be sure to read the fine print on your fertilizer package. Some of the most common lawn fertilizers can be toxic to your pets, causing a variety of symptoms if breathed in or ingested. Most fertilizers recommend keeping pets and children off the grass for at least 3 days after application, and sometimes longer. Before you apply fertilizer, read the instructions carefully, and follow all manufacturer recommendations. When possible, use pet-safe and child-safe fertilizers, because they’ve been formulated to keep your family safe from toxins.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pets & Easter Lilies

Lilies are a popular Easter flower, but did you know that they can actually be toxic to your pet? Like the Christmas poinsettias, lilies can attract the attention of your pet, especially cats, and then have a toxic effect when ingested. Keep those Easter lilies far from your pet's reach this season, or look into artificial options. The art of artificial flowers have gotten so advanced that your guests won't be able to tell the difference...and your pet will be safe.